The ASBA’s Technical Meeting is its most highly anticipated meeting all year. And this year, we’re returning to an incredibly popular location: Scottsdale, Arizona. Once again, we’ll be meeting at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess, which, as everyone will remember, has all kinds of beautiful amenities – a pool, ice rink, health club – and quite simply put, the most amazing holiday light display anyone has ever seen.
The dates of the meeting are November 30-December 4 and will include the not only the trade show, technical sessions, receptions and networking opportunities, but golf, tennis, pickleball (new this year!), division meetings, certification meetings and exams – and a whole lot more. Certification points as well as relevant continuing education credits are available as well.
So what’s new this year? How about these innovations, all of which will take place on Saturday, December 1:
- An early session by Craig Honkomp, PE, PS, LEED AP, of Sportworks Field Design, on “Utilizing Advanced Surveying and 3-D Scanning Technologies for Sports Facility Construction.” That session will be offered in advance of the meeting and is available by pre-registration only at an additional cost.
- The Tennis Tournament and Pickleball Demo/Tournament, which will be held at the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa. California Sports Surfaces sponsors the first-ever pickleball event, so bring your paddle if you have one (or just be ready to show up and enjoy the afternoon and learn about this fast-growing sport). It’s available by pre-registration only at an additional cost.
- Women of ASBA Networking Reception, sponsored by Hunter Industries. We invite the fastest-growing segment of our membership to take part in this special event, available at no additional charge.
What else does this meeting have in store for attendees? Some fantastic technical sessions. Here are just a few of those…
- Beach Volleyball Courts: Construction & Performance
- Field Hockey Construction & Certifications – Building Great Field Hockey Facilities
- Courts & Recreation Safety Standards (What Contractors Need to Know)
- Color Coating Weather Limitations (what happens when conditions aren’t just right), Curing & Storage
- Not just one but TWO offsite tours (Remember how popular the last ‘field trip’ was? Here’s your chance to experience it again!):
- How to Perform a Site Evaluation on a Running Track Facility
- Tennis Court Case Study – A Facility in need of Repairs (Remember how popular the last ‘field trip’ was? Here’s your chance to experience a new project!)
- Sports Marketing & Social Media Strategies
- Track Striping
- Asphalt Guidelines
- Field Replacement Issues
- Indoor Sports Flooring (Types, Application Methods, Evaluating Different Systems)
…and that’s just a sampling. There are many others and all of them are great. ASBA’s Technical Meeting has programming dedicated to tennis courts, running tracks, sports fields, courts and recreation, indoor facilities, design, business management and more.
Plus, you’ll get to hear ASBA’s excellent keynote speaker, Jason Young, brought to us courtesy of our sponsor, Stockmeier Urethanes.(For more information, see the separate article elsewhere in this newsletter).
What else is there? As we previously mentioned, ASBA’s trade show is filled with the products and services to help you work smarter, not harder, and to increase the value of any facility. And then there are plenty of opportunities for catching up with colleagues and co-workers in receptions, meals and more. You can take the certification exam (see the article in this newsletter), attend division meetings, challenge your friends to our it’s-supposed-to-be-all-in-fun-but-nobody-wants-to-lose ASBA sports tournaments – and a whole lot more.
Virtually every part of this meeting is valuable, and you won’t want to miss a minute of it. Need more convincing? Go to ASBA’s website, www.sportsbuilders.org, click on the Events tab on the toolbar and select the option for the Technical Meeting. Everything you need to know, including the full program, hotel information, travel hints and more can be found there.